Terragen is a freeware scenery generator program for Microsoft Windows and Apple Macintosh developed and published by Planetside Software. It can be used to create renderings and animations of landscapes.
It is popular among amateur artists, which can be attributed to it being freeware, its intuitive interface, and its capability to create photorealistic landscapes when used skillfully. It can also use DEM files, and other graphic surface maps for rendering.
A commercial version of the software is also available and is capable of creating larger terrains, renders with higher image resolution and better post-render anti-aliasing than the freeware version. A Terragen image appeared on the April 16, 2001 cover of Newsweek, and Terragen was used for animations in Brandy Norwood's "What About Us?" music video.
The terrain is generated from a two-dimensional heightmap. The program contains facilities for importing and exporting heightmaps to images, for use in other programs.
Terragen 2, with vastly enhanced features, was slated for its first public release at the end of January, 2006. As of January 28th, 2006, Matt Fairclough reported that the TG2 Technology Preview will not be released at the end of January as had been estimated. The Preview is now planned for release at some time during 2006 .
The Terragen 2 feature list includes:
- Procedural terrains of "infinite" detail
- Displacement mapping
- Full object support for vegetation, etc.
- Object instancing support, allowing the rendering of "millions" of trees, boulders, etc.
- A planetary atmosphere and scene model
- Capability to have multiple planets in a scene
- Volumetric clouds
- Motion blur
See also Edit
- Bryce, a 3D renderer optimised for scenery generation;
- GenesisIV, a landscape database and 3D renderer orientated towards GIS and Educational use;
- MojoWorld, which generates entire planets;
- Vista Pro, an early scenery generator.
- Official homepage of Terragen
- Information page about Terragen 2
- Terragen ™ 2 Technology Preview - the first public release.
- Planetside's official resources page listing plugins, terrain editors, etc.
- Terrasource - Large repository of links to Terragen-related material including plugins, terrain editors, DEM data, tutorials, etc.
- Ashundar - Terragen community featuring galleries, forums, file downloads, tutorials, contests, etc.
- TerraNuts - General graphics community focusing on landscapes, including a section on Terragen; features forums, galleries, tutorials, etc.
- TerraDreams - German language Terragen site with galleries, forums, and a popular contest; one of the oldest Terragen sites around.
- 3D Commune - Large graphics community with Terragen-specific galleries and forums.
- Renderosity - Very active graphics community with Terragen-specific galleries, forums and downloads; one of the most active galleries on the Internet.
- Google Terragen Group - Terragen user group where people share their work, web pages, and post questions and answers about Terragen.Template:Software-stub
|This page uses content from Wikipedia. The original article was at Terragen. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with the Graphics Wikia, the text of Wikipedia is available under the GNU Free Documentation License.|